When it comes to business websites, there are do’s and don’ts that you should take note of.
Always check the list below to make sure you are not doing anything from the don’ts and never miss out too many points from the do’s.
10 Do’s for Business Websites
1. Make it easy and convenient for people to contact you from your home page itself. Include a contact form or at least a phone number or email address so people can reach you.
2. Remember the KISS principle – Keep it Short & Simple. Don’t overwhelm your website with too much content, calls-to-actions or jargon that will annoy your visitors.
3. Do invest in creating a professional looking website, don’t be cheap.
4. Try your best to type in at least 250 words on each page of your website. While you are doing that, include 1~3 of your targeted keywords with some aesthetically attractive and relevant images.
5. Colors & fonts are both very important elements in a website. Use suitable colors that represent your business and fonts that are easily readable. Fashion and creative agency might want to opt for fancier fonts, but keep it mind it has to be readable else you are killing the purpose.
6. Do use a navigation bar that links to all important pages in your website. This navigation bar has to be placed on a prominent position and must function properly.
7. Do link your website to all your social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Blogs and so on. You can insert them on the top or the bottom of the page, use minimalist icons will do the job.
8. Do make sure your website is mobile friendly, or is responsive in design nature so that it can scales itself to fit the display of tablets and mobile phones. You don’t want more than 50% of your website visitors to have a frustrating experience browsing your website, right?
9. Do use Google Keywords Planner as a supporting tool to help you identify strategic keywords that you should use to boost your website SEO.
10. Add business reviews and testimonials to your website. Your potential buyers might want to know what your previous clients say about your business, products and services to let them have an idea on what to expect.
10 Don’ts for Business Websites
1. Don’t overcomplicate your copy or contact form. A complicated description confuses your readers, and a complicated contact form hinders your visitors from submitting a message or question.
2. Don’t post irrelevant content, or stuff up your page with too many links, videos, ads and pop-ups that will distract and irritate your visitors, or even yourself.
3. Don’t underestimate the power of a professional web designer, they can create a much better website that you can with the free tools or platform that you are using.
4. Don’t publish wall of text on your home page or any other sales pages. Not everyone likes reading 3,000 words before they decide to buy something, strike a balance between text and images.
5. Don’t overuse types of colors and fonts that are too fancy. They will kill readability and hurt the eyes of your website visitors.
6. Don’t hide important buttons, information or message. Put those things in the most visible and obvious location, else you will be suffering from high bounce rate.
7. Don’t forget to update your website content and social media. Always refresh with new content to keep your business ‘updated’ to make sure search engine will crawl your website more frequently.
8. Don’t create website that is only cater to the desktop viewer, the other half of your website visitors are made up by mobile and tablet browsers.
9. Don’t neglect the importance of SEO. SEO decides how your website will rank on the keywords as compared to your competitors. Improving your website SEO means better search engine result and ultimately, higher sales volume for your business.
10. Don’t treat your customers as one time buyers. Stay in touch with them, send them updates and promotional newsletters occasionally, and if possible get them to write reviews that are beneficial for your business.
Once you have gone through the above check-list, you can then focus your efforts on using digital marketing campaigns such as Facebook ads or Google AdWords to help boosting your sales even further.
Questions or comments? Leave your message down below!
Latest posts by Sanz Teoh (see all)
- Here’s How to Start Online Business in Malaysia in Just 1 Day (The Ultimate Guide) - November 28, 2019
- How to Afford Making A LOT of Mistakes in Facebook Ads - August 13, 2019
- Here’s 4 Online Business Ideas in 2018 and How You Could Start Now - July 2, 2018